No one wants their home to smell like dirty socks or wet towels. But sometimes, buying air fresheners can be so expensive and not to mention the fact that they often don’t even get rid of the smells.
That’s why we have made this collection of do-it-yourself air fresheners sure to make your home smell like a field of daisies all day! Try these scents that can help save you dollars! 😉
These easy to make homemade essential oil diffusers allow you to use your favourite essential oils to create wonderful, heavenly scents for every room in your home. What’s even better? They don’t just cover up bad smells; they purify the air.
Here’s how you can make your very own soothing aromas at home!
• Wooden kebab skewers:
These pull up the mixture and spread the fantastic aroma throughout the home. Make sure to cut off the pointy ends before you use the skewer.
• Essential oil of your choice:
If you’re not sure which essential oils to use, we’ve listed our top 10 below:
• Carrier oil
You use this to dilute the essential oil. We suggest that you use almond or jojoba oil because these are lighter and travel up the skewers quicker.
• A glass container
You can use any container that will fit your skewers, but the best option is to use a container that has a narrow opening at the top. The smaller the opening is, the slower the liquid will evaporate and the longer it will last!
1. Pour ¼ cup of carrier oil into your glass container and then add about 20 drops of essential oil. You may need to use a funnel, depending on how narrow the opening of the container is that you’ve chosen. You could also use a straw…for now.
2. Place your skewers, at least 5, into the mixed solution and stir gently. Let them soak for 1-2 hours and then flip them to expose the oil-soaked ends.
3. Flip the skewers once a week or whenever they get dry. You can also top up the mixture with essential oil as needed.
• Essential Oil + Alcohol + Water
This method works just as well if you don’t want to use a carrier oil. Just use the alcohol in place of the carrier oil. Plus alcohol evaporates faster than water and so makes it easier for the skewers to pull up the scent.
1. Pour ¼ cups of hot water into the glass jar and then add ¼ cups of alcohol.
2. Add 20-25 drops of essential oil to the mixture and swirl to mix.
3. Place your skewers, at least 5, into the mixed solution, let them soak for a couple of hours and then flip them to expose the oil-soaked ends.
4. Flip the skewers once a week or whenever they seem a bit dry. You can also top up the mixture with essential oil as needed.
Now that we’ve gotten the whole process down you can now go ahead and whip up your essential oil diffusers and gift the rooms in your home some natural, sweet-smelling fragrances!